Wind Tax Windfalls, Nuclear Tax Burdens
In this episode of This Week in Nuclear I interview Joseph Somsel, the author of “How Taxes Pervert Our Energy Choices”.
Our discussion covered a wide range of topics including:
- How favorably short depreciation schedules for wind have created a “gold mine” for investors, virtually independent of how much electricity the wind turbines produce.
- How nuclear investors would benefit if new nuclear plants received the same treatment as new wind turbines.
- How tax law have created hidden massive subsidies for wind energy, but added tax burdens for nuclear.
- A creative option for funding the industrial infrastructure needed for nuclear fuel cycling.
- Comparisons of the lifetime energy provided by similar investments in wind and nuclear.
- Who pays for new transmission lines to support new wind turbines and new nuclear plants.
- What do nuclear loan guarantees actually guarantee?
Be sure to read some of Mr. Somsel’s other works. Here are a couple of places to start: